Patients should not confuse general dentistry with family dentistry, as the two dental fields are not identical. General dentistry refers to a dentist whose scope of practice includes most or all aspects of dentistry. There is no specialization or area of expertise for a general dentist.
On the other hand, a family dentist is specially trained to address oral health at every stage of a person's life. A professional family dentist can provide preventative and therapeutic dental care for baby teeth and permanent teeth.
How Can a Family Dentist Help You?
Children, young adults, and adults of all ages each have unique oral health needs that can be addressed by family dentists. Your family dentist might provide various dental treatment options, such as:
- Orthodontics (metal and ceramic braces, Invisalign) treats malocclusions, or problems with the teeth when the mouth is closed, a condition that can result from improper tooth positioning.
- Routine cleanings are regularly scheduled dental cleanings when your hygienist removes hard tartar and sticky plaque from the surfaces of your teeth.
- Preventive dentistry maintains healthy gums and teeth and prevents cavities, tooth decay.
- Dealing with cavities deals with diagnosis and placement of fillings.
- Periodontal disease with treatment and prevention of gingivitis and the like.
Why Family Dentistry Suits You Best
If you have multiple children in your family, from infants to adolescents, teens to adults, family dentists help you get in and out in one session. The convenience it offers is almost unparalleled in dentistry.
How to Find the Right Family Dentist
The dentist's educational background and work experience will usually be listed on their website. In this day and age, information is much more transparent than ever before. There could be many factors leading to the lack of a website for a dentist. It could mean the dentist maintains an old-fashioned practice. However, it could also indicate they are so reputable and skilled that they don't think advertising is necessary.
Bring your entire family in and see how the dental office handles them. If your kids are little, have them sit down and speak to the prospective dentist. You want the dentist to be able to talk to the whole family and provide personalized care. As well as ensuring that you have someone who knows you, you must also ensure they understand your oral health and overall health instead of simply focusing on the bottom line.
No matter their age, your children need stability when it comes to their oral health. You should choose carefully who you entrust with that responsibility. Tod Anderson DDS is one of the best dental service providers in Los Gatos, CA. For more details and appointments, call us at (408) 540-7813, book online, or visit us at 14475 S Bascom Ave, Los Gatos, CA 95032.