Patients who have missing teeth would have heard of dentures from their dentist. It is a removable oral appliance that replaces missing teeth in the mouth. It is an excellent solution that helps to restore the oral health of the patient. At Tod Anderson DDS family and cosmetic dentistry, the patient can receive high-quality, effective dentures from expert dentists.
Types of Dentures
Depending on how many teeth need to be replaced, dentures come in two types: full dentures and partial dentures. As their names imply, full dentures are used to replace complete sets of teeth while partial dentures replace a few missing teeth.
Benefits of Full Dentures
- Full dentures restore and even enhance the facial appearance of the person and consequently boost their self-confidence.
- It helps to correct the speech impairments that the patient may be experiencing due to tooth loss.
- Full dentures provide support to the facial structure.
- The dental appliance can be removed and cleaned easily.
- It displays durability when patients do proper maintenance.
Benefits of Partial Dentures
- Partial dentures provide support to the gums, jawbone, and facial muscles.
- It prevents the natural teeth from shifting from their positions.
- The dental appliance alters the appearance of the person by filling the gaps caused by tooth loss.
- Partial dentures help to avoid bite conditions like overbite and crossbite.
- Adjustments like the expansion of the denture can be performed if required.
The Procedure of Providing Dentures
The dentist first analyzes the oral health of the patient to determine if they require a full denture or a partial denture. Using a digital imaging system, the dentist takes the impression of the mouth to get the measurements that enable the fabrication of the denture. The color, shape, and fitting of the dentures are decided using the wax model.
The final denture is fabricated and fixed to the gums to check if it fits. The dentist then makes the necessary adjustments and checks the functionality of the teeth. Initially, the patient may feel indifferent, which is considered normal. The dentist then provides aftercare instructions that need to be followed to keep the dental appliance in good form.
If you are looking for an appropriate treatment that can help replace the missing teeth, visit Tod Anderson DDS family and cosmetic dentistry located at Los Gatos, CA. Call us at (408) 540-7813 and book an appointment with the dentistry to know more about dentures and other dental treatments.