Sedation dentistry is a medication provided to patients during dental procedures. It helps the patients to undergo the treatment without stress and anxiety. The dentist offers minimal, moderate and deep sedation depending on the type of oral procedure.
Tod Anderson DDS family and cosmetic dentistry have expert dentists who provide sedation to adults and children during dental treatments.
Advantages of Sedation Dentistry
- Sedation helps to provide relief from anxiety.
- It reduces the gag reflex that some patients may experience during oral surgeries.
- Sedatives are regulated by FDA, making them safe for dental use.
- Discomfort or pain caused by the dental treatment can be avoided
- Sedating the patient helps the dentist to work faster with more efficiency.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
There are three major types of sedation that are provided to patients which have been provided as below.
- Laughing Gas:Also know as Nitrous Oxide is sedation provided to patients during dental treatments. It is administered through a mask that is attached to the nose during the procedure. The dentist can adjust the level of sedation depending on the effect it has on the patient. It is considered an ideal option for children as it helps to sedative them but allows communication during the treatment.
- General Anesthesia: It is a type of sedative that puts the patient to sleep during the treatment. Patients who undergo wisdom tooth extraction are provided general anesthesia. The dentist injects the sedative into the vein which eventually makes the patient fall asleep. It requires recovery time and the patient needs to be accompanied by someone after the procedure.
- IV Sedation: It is conscious sedation provided to the patients to relax them through the dental procedure. The sedative is injected into the vein and the patient. It takes effect immediately after administration and does not cause any pain. The sedative keeps the patient awake, but they remain less aware of the procedure performed on them. They are unaware of sensations like smell, sound and sight when on IV sedation.
Tod Anderson DDS family and cosmetic dentistry, located in Los Gatos, CA, is an equipped dentistry with expert dentists who provide sedation to patients.
Call (408) 540-7813 and book a consultation at the dentistry to know more about your dental health and receive a complete dental checkup for you and your family.