Teeth grinding, also referred to as bruxism, is a dental condition where patients clench their jaw throughout the day. It is a reaction to stress and anxiety and is primarily observed in people while sleeping. Tod Anderson DDS family and cosmetic dentistry can provide treatments that can help resolve teeth grinding.
Symptoms of Teeth Grinding
- The patient may experience extreme pain or headache due to teeth grinding.
- It may break or chip the teeth while clenching.
- Pain or stiffness in the jaw joint may signify bruxism.
- The patient may experience disrupted sleep.
Causes of Teeth Grinding
- Stress and anxiety:People who have extreme stress in day-to-day life may experience teeth grinding while sleeping.
- Medicines:Some medicines may have side effects that lead to teeth grinding.
- Sleeping disorder:Patients who have sleep apnea or sleep paralysis may undergo teeth grinding.
- Lifestyle: Factors like smoking and drinking alcohol may cause bruxism in patients.
Treatment for Teeth Grinding
Each patient may have a reason that leads to teeth grinding. The dentist can help to evaluate and diagnose the conditions and provide appropriate treatment to them. They can determine the cause and then resolve the disorder, attending to individual requirements.
- Medication:Dentists prescribe medicines to patients which help to relax the muscles while sleeping. It calms the jaw and helps the patient cope with stress in a better way.
- Procedures: Some dentists consider Botox injections that help to relax the jaw muscles. It is an effective treatment that can help resolve teeth grinding for some patients.
- Behavioral strategies: Patients receive help to identify the cause of stress. They are trained to relax through techniques like stretches where the jaw, neck, and head feel calm after proper practice.
- Dental approaches:The dentist provides splints or mouthguards to patients, worn before sleeping. It guards the teeth and avoids damage caused by bruxism.
- Dental correction:The dentist reshapes the chewing surface of the teeth or repairs the damage, which helps avoid conditions like teeth grinding.
Treatment at the right time is crucial to avoid wear and tear of teeth due to teeth grinding.
At Tod Anderson DDS family and cosmetic dentistry, located in Los Gatos, CA, effective dental treatments are provided to patients with utmost care and precision. Call us at (408) 540-7813 and book a consultation with dentistry to know more teeth grinding treatments and receive a complete dental checkup.