A composite or tooth-colored filling is a restorative procedure that helps to reinstate decayed and impaired teeth. They can also enhance the aesthetics of a smile by altering the shade of the teeth or recontouring a disfigured tooth. At Tod Anderson DDS, in Los Gatos, California, we utilize tooth-colored fillings instead of white fillings to repair the cavities and damage, improving your smile and oral health.
What Is a Composite or Tooth-Colored Filling?
Tooth-colored fillings are composed of composite resin and silica. These materials look not only like tooth enamel, but they also act more like part of the natural tooth towards temperature changes and chewing pressure in the mouth. As a result, both the appearance and health of your teeth are re-established.
What is the Procedure For Tooth-Colored Fillings?
A tooth-colored filling can be performed in a single dental visit. The basic steps are:
- First, the affected tooth will be cleaned thoroughly.
- A local anesthetic is utilized to numb the impaired tooth completely.
- After numbing the area, the dentist will eliminate decayed portions of your tooth.
- Then we will clean and dry the tooth before filling it with composite material.
- Next, your new filling will be placed and sculpted to match the original tooth structure.
- Finally, a laser curing light will be used to harden the material.
- If required, any final adjustments will be made.
- The surplus material is brushed off, and the tooth is polished.
- Before you leave, your filling will be set entirely.
- As soon as your numbing wears off, you can eat and drink normally.
What Are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings offer many benefits, including:
- Tooth-colored fillings aren’t obvious when you smile or laugh. As a result, no one around you will be aware that you have had dental work.
- Metal fillings expand and contract quickly in response to temperature, which can cause cracks in your teeth over time. Tooth-colored fillings contract more like natural enamel, which doesn’t do damage and shields the tooth against temperature changes.
- The tooth-colored filling treatment is less invasive than receiving a metal filling. This allows more of your natural tooth structure to be retained, which benefits your long-term dental health.
If you are interested in tooth-colored fillings, visit Tod Anderson DDS at 14475 S Bascom Ave, Los Gatos, CA 95032, or call us at (408) 540-7813 and schedule an appointment with the dentist.